ADA/Medical and Religious Accommodation Policy
It is the policy of Cornerstone Learning Community (CLC) to afford equal opportunity to all employees, regardless of physical or mental disability. However, all employees with such disabilities are expected to perform the essential, in-person functions of their positions as both defined in their respective job descriptions or as performed on a regular basis as part of their normal responsibilities. All employees with disabilities are eligible for reasonable accommodations per the Americans with Disabilities Act so long as it does not create an undue hardship for CLC and/or does not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others in the workplace and/or to the employee.
In accordance with federal and state laws and Cornerstone Learning Community (CLC) policies, CLC prohibits discrimination on the basis of religion. CLC provides reasonable accommodation for a person’s sincerely held religious beliefs or practices so long as it does not create an undue hardship for CLC and/or does not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others in the workplace and/or to the employee. A reasonable religious accommodation is any adjustment to the work and/or academic environment that will allow the individual to practice his/her religion.
CLC is not required to provide an accommodation if it is not aware of the individual’s need and desire for accommodation. Reasonable accommodations are determined, identified, and implemented using a collaborative, interactive process.
An employee or applicant should inform CLC’s Director or Business Director in writing about a request for reasonable ADA or religious accommodation by completing, signing, and submitting the appropriate accommodation request form (see links below). An employee should notify the Director or Business Director as soon as he/she becomes aware of a need or potential need for accommodation.
Contents of this request are confidential and will only be shared with appropriate personnel to consider the implementation of a reasonable accommodation. This form will not be placed in employment records. The information may be released to external agencies.
While CLC cannot make all requested accommodations, it will work with the employees through the interactive process to define reasonable terms that would enable the employee to perform the essential, in-person functions of their job and supply such terms to the employee so long as it does not create an undue hardship for CLC and/or does not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others in the workplace and/or to the employee. If the employee cannot perform the essential functions with the available accommodations, the employee may be separated from CLC.
Process for Accommodation Requests
- Notify the Director or Business Director and complete and sign the appropriate Accommodation Request Form (see links below). Accommodation requests cannot be considered until a completed, signed form is received by the Director.
- The Director or CLC Administrative Team will work with you through a collaborative, interactive process to determine and identify reasonable accommodations options that will allow you to perform the essential functions of your position.
- If reasonable accommodations are able to be identified and agreed upon during the interactive process, CLC will work with you to implement any reasonable accommodations.
- CLC will provide you with written documentation of the determination for your request.
- While accommodations are in place, CLC and the employee will continue to work together to ensure any needs or concerns are being addressed.
Process to Appeal an Accommodation Request Determination
If reasonable accommodations are not able to be agreed upon through the interactive process and/or CLC is unable to approve an employee’s accommodation request, the employee has the right to appeal the determination provided an Appeal Form is completed, signed, and submitted to the Director within 30 days of the determination notification for your original request. Only appeals submitted in writing on a CLC Appeal Form (see link below) can be considered.
The appeal process will provide the employee with the opportunity to provide additional details and/or documentation for CLC’s consideration.
CLC Accommodation Request & Appeal Forms
- Medical Accommodation Request Form
- Religious Accommodation Request Form
- Accommodation Determination Appeal Form